This Volcano cake has to be one of the easiest, yet visually outstanding cakes, I have ever made. I used it as a centrepiece for a dinosaur party, but could be a statement cake for anyone that climbs mountains or just wants a stand out birthday cake.
Ingredients for the Volcano Cake:
Note: double this mix if you are making a large volcano like I did. Look at the size of the dry ingredients when in a bowl to determine if you want a bigger volcano.
- 4 cups of Rice Bubbles
- 2 tablespoons of icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 60g butter
- 200g marshmallows (use white ones if you can)
Tip: you will need to move quickly when the marshmallow is added to the mix as they set quickly. Also wet your hands to prevent the mixture sticking to your hands.
- Add your Rice Bubbles, icing sugar and cocoa powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Get your cakeboard ready and place a bowl upside down in the centre as a support.
- Melt you butter and marshmallows and add to the mixture.
- Stir until the mixture is sticking together.
- Wet your hands.
- Using a spoon place the mix over the bowl
- Shape the mix to look like a volcano shape
Decorating the Volcano Cake:
I had some Red buttercream icing and poured it over the top of the volcano to look like hot lava. Try our easy buttercream recipe. You can add a little more hot water to make it runny.
You can add sparkler candles to the top if you wish.
As I didn't want to ice my daughters name on the cake, I used alphabet candles.
Other helpful items to accompany your Dinosaur Themed Cake:Check out our blog on how to create a Dinosaur Party with flair! It shares tips on dinosaur party food, dinosaur decorations and dinosaur party games. Don't forget to see our range of Dinosaur party products.